Thursday, June 6, 2013

Vietnam - War Tunnels of Long Phuoc - April 2013































This was a very interesting site to visit.  I was not too sure what to expect by visiting the tunnels built by the Viet Cong in the war years to hide from the enemy.  The tunnels were originally built deliberately small and windy to make it difficult to penetrate if discovered.  They could only crawl through the tunnels and the kitchen and utility areas were very small and crouching height only.  It would have been very claustrophobic with the only air holes being very small ( see photo attached of hole under a log).  The tunnels have been increased for 50 metres to a height that we could walk through at my height.  The men had to crouch over to fit through.  I don't think I could have gone into the tunnels at their original height.  Today it is air conditioned.  In the old days it would have been only life or death that would have made them go into the tunnels and stay in there for the daylight hours in the heat.  At night they came out and fought their battles.  When building the tunnels the  soil was taken out and dropped into the nearby river so there was no evidence of digging.
This is a very historical site and I am pleased that I have seen it so I can have more of an appreciation of the war years and the horrors all of the soldiers had to endure.

  

No comments: